Tuesday 6 March 2012

The Start of the Cooking Chemist

I'm just a relatively normal guy that likes food.  I'm pretty sure you'll be hard pressed to find a guy that doesn't like food.  It also happens that I have my PhD in chemistry and am currently working in a laboratory doing chemical research everyday.

I believe that if you're a chemist, you have the potential to be a good chef/baker.  (Well... if you're a good chemist you have more potential to be a good chef, while a poor chemist may have a bit more trouble).  After all, at a rudimentary level, cooking and baking is just manipulating a complex set of chemicals to provide a source of nourishment. However, as boring and uninspired as that description is, there's no reason why cooking can't be fun,  and the food tasty and, for the most part, healthy.

People spend A LOT of money on dining in restaurants or picking up their favorite snacks or treats everyday.  After really thinking about it, I thought to myself, many items look complex or difficult to make, but I'm up to the challenge of making many of the dishes I see, and perhaps simplify the procedure or at least know exactly what is in the food. 

I am not a professionally trained chef on any level.  However, with some knowledge, a bit of guidance from time to time, and a lot of trial and error, I've started to experiment and come up with recipes that are relatively quick, but still provide enjoyment.

I will try to update on a fairly regular basis. I'll will try to post directions and instructions on everything from basic cooking products and strategies that I use all the way up to full multi-course meals. In my posts I will try to give tips and guidelines as best I can, with a picture of all the finished products.  I'm new to this, so it may be a while for me to get the balance of enough pictures and information without being over or underwhelming.  So with that said, I'll be open to comments on the blog and on the recipes on how they turned out for you!

Cheers,

The Canadian Cooking Chemist

PS. I have discovered there are other bogs that have been around for a while that are named "The Cooking Chemist", "Cookin' Chemist" and "Cooking Chemist".  So to differentiate myself, the blog has been retitled The Canadian Cooking Chemist!


No comments:

Post a Comment