Monday 16 April 2012

Whipping Cream

I've been feeling a bit under the weather the last couple of days, but I'm really trying my best to provide an update every Monday since I made that promise.  So, this post won't be anything revolutionary (well, none of my posts are). 

I find I'm always trying to remember the proper ratio for a good whipping cream to top things with.  So, if nothing else, this post can serve as a quick cheat sheet for myself if I forget, and hopefully, it can help you out too.

For a nice, semi-sweet whipping cream to top on berries, waffles, ice cream, or whatever else you want, all you need is 3 ingredients and the ratio of 1c:1tbs:1tsp.

What food stuff you will need:
1 cup whipping cream 
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

What "equipment" you will  need for upside down pudding cake:
1 cup measure
1 tablespoon measure
1 teaspoon measure
1 medium bowl
1 electric mixer (or 1 whisk and a lot of energy)
OR
1 whip cream dispenser (with 1 nitrous oxide cartridge)
 
Directions:
1) Place all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl

2) Beat the cream until at the consistency you desire (the long you whip the thicker it will become).
Note: Too long and the whipping cream will be like butter

If using a whip cream dispenser, place all the ingredients in the dispenser and charge with a nitrous oxide cartridge.

So, as you can see there is really nothing too this, but I find this ratio is important. I find this ratio of ingredients is never too sweet or not sweet enough.  It's exactly what I expect whipped cream to taste like for the top of a frozen drink, on a dessert, or served for whatever you want.

Cheers,

The Canadian Cooking Chemist

PS Due to the simplistic nature of this post, I will try to do a more in-depth recipe, with several pictures before my normal update next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment